The main goal of LIFE ULISES Project is to upgrade conventional wastewater treatment plants (WWTP) by different innovative technologies that produce useful resources from wastewater, such as automotive biofuel, biofertilizers and water for reuse. The project aims to reduce energy consumption and carbon footprint of WWTPs, increasing their efficiency by the integration of different technologies in each of their lines from the WWTP (water, gas, sludge).
During the project, the next low cost technologies will be implemented in El Bobar WWTP (Almería):
- Biogas up-grading with ABAD Bioenergy® system to produce a renewable biofuel (Aqualia, Energylab)
- Combined PUSH anaerobic pretreatment with advanced aeration control system to half energy demand of wastewater treatment process (Aqualia)
- Solar tertiary treatment based on photo-phenton to produce disinfected for irrigation (Ciesol – UAL)
- Biofertilizer production from sludge by enzymatic hydrolysis treatment (CETIM, Aqualia)
- Struvite recovery system from centrate by direct osmosis technology (CETIM)
All this innovative technologies will let reduce the electric consumption of El Bobar WWTP and then, minimize its environmental impact and carbon footprint.